Tuesday, October 22, 2013

On the Bullet Train: Nagoya to Kyoto

This gives me a perfect opportunity to talk about how I am able to blog on this trip. I've left my iPhone in airplane mode since taking off from LAX. I also turned off data roaming. Which means I am dependent on Wi-Fi connections. Not difficult in a big city hotel, but less common once we got on the Nakesendo - until we hit Magome, which gets many international visitors. There I noticed free Wi-Fi signs in the Tourist Information Office and a few coffee shops.

Has not been a problem for me, however, as Roxana has rented a Wi-Fi connector for the duration of the journey:
She arranged to have it mailed to our Tokyo hotel, and it was waiting for her on check-in. About the size of a cell phone, so easy to carry. She turned it on in the train, and, voila, I have Internet connection.

Post-trip Update: Cost (at current exchange rate) is about US$85 for two weeks, which is reasonable. I did not try using Skype, and the connection speed might be too slow for that (it took forever to upload a 1 minute video to Facebook), but it worked fine for checking email, keeping up with Facebook, and writing my daily blog posts, even in rural Japan. Here's the website for more info: http://www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html

You can find similar WiFi rentals for other countries; here's one I found for Europe, Australia, and New Zealand: http://www.tepwireless.com/wifi/australia . Do a web search for 'pocket wifi rental' to find other choices.

Finally, the New York Times Travel section has a great article on other options to keep overseas roaming charges under control: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/travel/how-to-beat-roaming-fees-while-traveling-abroad.html?_r=0

2 comments:

  1. Good for Roxana. Clever. Hope you enjoyed the sandwiches on the bullet train. I thought they were delicious. Not exactly Amtrak! We loved Kyoto, and by complete chance were in the right place at the right time when the Geishas and Geishas-in-training all walked out, headed to their night's events. It was truly a sight. Think HJS already told you about the Ramen court at the Kyoto train station too. The other thing I remember is being so TIRED and JET LAGGED that at 5p all we wanted to do was to go to sleep. Forced ourselves to go eat at nice place. in retrospect, shoulda gone to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japan is a SPLIT SECOND SCHEDULE country. I wonder what the Swiss think when they travel in Japan? We had so may split second schedule miracles: trains to buses, hiking fatigue to a train, buses to trains and each incident occured with split second continuiy. No one needs a car in this country.

    ReplyDelete