Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Even the Club Lounge Isn't Immune to 'mechanical delays'

Departure delayed 3 times; now being told there has been a plane change. I'm getting evil stares from others in lounge because I was here early enough to snag a  desk & I am not giving it up.

At least they have changed out the continental breakfast for crackers, cheese, pretzels, Milano cookie packs, and chocolate covered raisins. 

Checked my backpack; here is my carry-on. Left the mug and pen on the left for scale. You can see it's pretty small. Aside from a toothbrush, extra contact lenses, and my iPhone earbuds and charger cable, most of bulk is newspaper I brought to read - and do the KenKen! 
My passport and boarding pass are in case that hangs from my neck, both for security and ease of access when walking through the check-in process. 

Pack in picture below was a favor from the AZ HighPointers convention. Did not think it would be very useful, but it has turned out to be a handy travel accessory. I keep it in my suitcase because it packs flat, is very light, yet becomes a useful backpack for walking around and keeping your hands free. So it was the perfect choice for a trip where my only other bag is a full-size backpack - not a FULL backpack, just full-size.  I weighed it last night at 16 pounds without water. Trying to travel light. 2 pair pants, 1 pair fleece pants ( we hike one day to 10,000 feet), 3 tops (1 is wicking base layer) fleece jacket, rain shell, underwear, 2 pair wool socks, 2 pair liner socks, 1 pair hiking boots, and 1 pair Teva sandals (can wear these with socks, if necessary). No need for bathing suit in the onsens (japanese baths) we will visit on the trail, and Roxana assures us every ryokan (traditional inn) will provide a cotton robe we can use to sleep in, so no nightclothes, either. Probably will be doing some bathtub clothes washing, but so be it. Better than feeling held back by extra luggage.

Supposedly should board any time now. Next post from Tokyo.
 

2 comments:

  1. You two are my "ideal" fellow travelers. In a country where "less is more" you are champions of packng.

    ReplyDelete